2021 Gottschalk Teacher Recruitment FAQ

How many positions are available?

Currently, we are seeking to fill one position that begins on April 1, 2022.

Is there an age limitation?

According to the retirement age requirement at Kobe College, you must be 63 or younger when you begin your position in April 2022.

Can a male apply/be hired?


Is the position open to applicants outside of the US/non-native English-speaking countries?

There is no citizenship requirement. As long as you are a native speaker of English, you are eligible.

May questionnaires be answered in Japanese or is English preferred?

Because they are reviewed by English speakers, English is preferred.

What does the teaching look like during the COVID pandemic? Are classes provided on-line or in person? What are the measures put in place to prevent the spread of the virus?

Kobe College is following the guidelines provided by the Japanese government. Classes have been meeting in person with everyone wearing a mask.

Are visa sponsorships still being provided despite the COVID restrictions as indicated by the Japanese government?

Kobe College follows the restrictions and guidelines provided by the Japanese government. The Gottschalk Teachers hired for 2021 were able to obtain their visas to enter Japan.

Is the announced salary for one year or two?

It is for one year.

Is there training for the CREW method?

Typically, a first-year Gottschalk Teacher co-teaches with a Japanese teacher to learn the CREW method.

What is the size of the provided housing and how far is the housing from school?

The provided housing has 2 bedrooms plus a living-dining-kitchen area. The bigger bedroom is about 188 square feet, and the other bedroom is a bit smaller.

It takes about 10 to 15 minutes to walk from the housing to the school. A good portion of the walk is a hill.

Is the Gottschalk Teacher required to live in the provided furnished housing?

The Gottschalk Teacher is not required to live in the provided housing. If they choose not to, the Gottschalk Teacher must find other housing, procure a contract (which is difficult to do as a non-Japanese), and pay for it themselves (it is a very expensive area). The school does not assist in finding, furnishing, or financing other housing.

Is this position suitable for teacher that has a family?

Kobe College will take care of the Certificate of Eligibility for the Gottschalk Teacher and the Gottschalk Teacher’s legal spouse and family.

Only a Gottschalk Teacher’s legal spouse and children can live in the housing provided by the school. No pets are allowed.

If coming with children, the Gottschalk Teacher will have to find a school and enroll them on their own. Kobe College does not have a support system for these types of family needs.

A couple and 1 or 2 small children might be able to live in the provided housing comfortably.

If you cannot find your answer here, please contact programs@kccjee.org